More and more French people are using IPTV technology to access certain TV channels and audiovisual content. What does IPTV mean? What does it consist of? What are the benefits of IPTV and what are the best subscriptions? Discover the answers to these questions in our article.Compare TV offers by phone
Selectra service – non-premium rate number
- The Essentials
- IPTV is a broadcasting technology that uses the Internet.
- There are 3 forms of IPTV: live IPTV, catch-up TV and VOD.
- IPTV subscriptions are available from €5.99/month.
- There are illegal IPTV subscriptions whose use may result in legal action.
What is IPTV and how does it work?
Today, there are several broadcasting technologies of television channels. Generally, the channels use terrestrial or satellite transmission.
- Over-the-air broadcasting: Television is received through a “rake” antenna placed on the roof of your home. Today, everything is digital with DTT (digital terrestrial television), broadcast by transmitters and relay antennas that cover the metropolitan territory.
- Satellite broadcasting: Television is received through a satellite dish and a satellite demodulator. Accessible everywhere in France, it provides access to many French and foreign channels and packages.
The disadvantage of these two types of technologies is that the viewer cannot control the programming of a channel. He cannot look at what he wants and when he wants. The schedules of the programmes are strictly predefined and the programmes must be subject to a precise timetable. Unless the viewer has a recording device that allows them to save the chosen content.
However, a new computer protocol has been created to replace traditional broadcast protocols. This is IPTV, called in English Internet Protocol TeleVision. This mode of broadcasting uses either the existing wired telephone network (for ADSL) or the specific network still being deployed (for optical fiber) to transmit television via the Internet Protocol. By using the Internet connection, IPTV gives the viewer not only the ability to choose the content that interests him but also to be able to watch it at any time.
What are the different forms of IPTV?
IPTV can have three different forms: Live IPTV, Delayed Media, VOD.
Live IPTV is a classic form of television. That is, TV programs are available live on the Internet while they are broadcast on TV. That’s why this type of IPTV looks like regular TV. It is often used for sporting events.
Moreover, it is precisely the broadcasting of sporting events that has accelerated the development of live IPTV. There are many sports subscriptions such as beIN or RMC Sport for big sports fans.Subscribe RMC Sport onlineRMC Sport at 9€/month with SFR
Catch-up television, also called replay TV, is a special form of broadcasting. It allows you to watch the programs in delay. How does it work? Television provides a film, series or programme for several days after its first broadcast. The content is therefore available for a limited period of time. Thus, this form of broadcasting allows viewers to watch programs that they missed when they first aired.
But let’s not forget: after a set period of time, content can become inaccessible or paid.
VOD: Video on Demand
The VOD service (Video On Demand) refers to “video on demand”. This mode of broadcasting allows viewers to benefit from audiovisual content individually, rented or purchased. It is the user who has the right to choose the content he wants to follow.
What is the difference between catch-up TV and VOD service?The major difference between them is the length of time the content is kept. The catch-up TV offers you the content for a limited time while the VOD service gives you access to a video library whose content is not limited in time.
In the same category appears the SVOD service (from the English Subscription Video On Demand). Unlike VOD, the user does not pay for each video separately but subscribes to a monthly or annual subscription. This subscription gives unlimited access to the complete catalog of a platform. You probably know the most famous SVOD platforms: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or Canal+.
Today, access to these platforms can be integrated into an operator’s entire Internet offer. This is how it is possible to subscribe to Netflix with Orange, Netflix with Bouygues, Netflix with Free and Netflix with SFR.
Do you want to enjoy Netflix or another SVOD platform thanks to a powerful Internet Box? Contact Selectra to have an advisor guide you through the most competitive partner offerings, based on your eligibility.
09 71 07 91 08
However, the Netflix subscription can also be purchased outside the internet service provider. In this case, we are talking about the Over The Top service. The notion of Over The Top, often also called OTT, refers to SVOD offers accessible directly from the provider, regardless of the Internet service provider. That is, the subscriber does not need to go through an Internet provider.
How to choose the best IPTV subscription?
IPTV technology often raises the question of legality. In fact, IPTV is not an illegal technology in itself. For an IPTV subscription to be legal, it must respect copyrights. This is a major aspect that the user should take into consideration when choosing an IPTV subscription.
Catalog of Good Deals! Save money
Come and discover dozens of great deals and exceptional offers on our online catalog.
Legal IPTV subscription
Legal IPTV subscriptions have the rights to broadcast multimedia content over the Internet. Here are the most popular IPTV subscriptions.
|80 live channels including DTT (TF1, France 2, France 3, France 4, France 5, Arte, TMC, TFX, Gulli, L’équipe, fashion TV …)
|Amazon Prime Video
films, series and documentaries Original productions from Amazon Prime Video
|€6.99/month with Amazon Prime
|TF1, France 2, France 3, France 4, France 5, M6, W9, TMC, Gulli, TF1 Séries Films, 6ter, LCI, Franceinfo, TV Breizh, Téva, Paris Première, Ushuaïa TV, Histoire TV
|Productions Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Star, National Geographic
films, series and documentaries Netflix Original Productions
|from 5,99€/month (with ad)
|OCS City, OCS Max, OCS Choc, OCS Giants
|Sport package beIN Sports 1, beIN Sports 2, beIN Sports 3,
beIN Sports Max
package RMC Sport 1, RMC Sport 2, RMC Sport 3, RMC Sport 4, RMC Sport UHD, RMC Sport News
|Canal+, Canal+ Décalé (optional packs: Canal+ pack, Family pack+, Ciné Séries+ pack, Sport + pack)
Selection of IPTV subscriptions, classified according to their price. Free SEO.Compare TV offers by phone
Selectra service – non-premium rate number
Illegal IPTV subscription
An illegal IPTV subscription has no permission to broadcast multimedia content over the Internet. This is why the transmission of this content becomes illegal. Its use can have serious consequences. Penalties can start with a simple warning, then escalate with a fine and end with a prison sentence of up to 3 years.
About Illegal IPTVThere are illegal IPTV solutions that can result in legal action. Therefore, Selectra will never offer Internet offers that include illegal IPTV services.
Which media are compatible with lPTV?
IPTV can be accessed from different types of media:
- the Internet browser: the operation of the IPTV is compatible with the Internet browser (Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox …). Its use is simple, just go to the URL of an IPTV service provider and choose the program according to your taste. To ensure good reception, the viewer will need a high-performance device and sufficient throughput.
- Digital TV: to enjoy IPTV on a digital TV, it is essential to download and install an IPTV application. However, only smart TVs are capable of receiving programs broadcast by IPTV. Do you want to buy a smart TV? Currently, the purchase of a smart TV is available on sale with one of the Bouygues offers (Bbox Must, Bbox Ultym) and SFR (Box SFR, Box SFR Power).
- the IPTV box: the IPTV can also be received thanks to an IPTV box. It is a set-top box that transmits IPTV signals.
What is a Smart TV?It is simply a TV capable of connecting to the network, either via its Ethernet socket or its Wi-Fi module, in both cases in connection with your Internet box. Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Loewe, Sony all offer a proprietary web portal opening up to an unlimited amount of content: VOD, applications, widgets, video games, web radios, music platforms… These portals make web content accessible directly on your TV.
What are the advantages of IPTV?
- Easy installation: IPTV installation requires no equipment. It is simple and quick to do.
- TV on demand: IPTV gives the viewer choice to watch anything they want, at any time.
- bandwidth optimization: IPTV makes it possible to distribute only the programs selected by the user. Thus IPTV keeps its content available, but only broadcasts what the user chooses: not only does this free up bandwidth, but in addition, it does not limit the user’s choice to the capabilities of his means of reception. Nothing prevents you from watching an 800GB movie with a hard drive of only 200GB.
- Additional features: IPTV offers its users different features that make its use even more enjoyable. Among them, we can mention for example Picture in Picture (in French “image in the image”) allowing to visualize a second channel inserted in the same television screen, the pause, a jump forward or backward and others.
- Available on multiple platforms: IPTV is accessible from several types of platforms. You can enjoy it with your Smart TV, smartphone or tablet.
- The price: in terms of the quality/price ratio, IPTV is very advantageous for the user. For a monthly or annual subscription, he has at his disposal a catalog of different programs and unlimited programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is IPTV?
IPTV, called Internet Protocol TeleVision, uses the wired telephone network (ADSL) or the network being deployed, in order to retransmit television via the Internet Protocol.
What is the best IPTV subscription?
To choose the best IPTV subscription, you need to choose a legal IPTV subscription, which respects copyright. To do so, you can turn to platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Canal +, Molotov TV … Depending on what you like to watch, you will be able to choose the offer of your choice.
What are the advantages of IPTV?
It is easy to install IPTV, you will have access to TV on demand, you can watch the programs of your choice from a computer or television, and the quality / price ratio of IPTV is very advantageous for the user.